Each week, I post a Bargain Meal idea, based on our local New Seasons Market ad of the week. This week, they have a wide selection of “healthy enough” treats for Memorial Day weekend BBQs and picnics. This week’s meal of “Hot Dogs With the Works” shows that you can still have a fun summertime meal, while still staying in budget. Sale items are in red.
Click here for the full recipe:
Hot Dogs With the Works
(I recalculated the recipe for 4 servings.)
4 Hot Dogs (Shelton’s Free Range Uncured Turkey Franks on sale $2.50/12 oz) = $1.00
4 Hot Dog buns (Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Hot Dog buns on sale $2.99/pkg) = $1.99
1 Tbl + 1 1/2 tsp chopped Onion (Vidalia Sweet Onions on sale $0.99/lb) = $0.05
1 Tbl. Sweet Pickle Relish (Woodstock Organic on sale $3.99/16 oz) = $0.12
1/4 cup + 2 Tbl. diced Tomato = $0.23
3/4 cup shredded Jack or Pepper Jack Cheese (Tillamook on sale $8.99/32 oz) = $0.84
Prepare according to original recipe instructions.
Cost: $4.23 (for 4 servings)
Serving Suggestions (Include one or more in your meal; costs shown are for 4 servings.):
- Make it “healthier” by serving up a 1/2 lb of Baby Carrots (Bunny-Luv on sale $1.50/lb) = $0.75
- Share a bag of all-natural potato chips (Kettle Chips on sale $1.25/5 oz bag) = $1.25
- Finish off the meal with a 4 oz scoop of natural Ice Cream (Dreyer’s on sale $2.99/48 oz) = $0.99 (Other ice creams on sale include Tillamook at $3.99/52 oz and Alden’s -our favorite!- at $3.99/48 oz)
- Include a 1/2 lb of fresh organic Strawberries (Driscoll on sale $4.99/2 lbs) = $1.25
- Mustard (Annie’s Organic on sale $2.50/9 oz)
- Ketchup (Woodstock Organic on sale $2.50/20 oz)
In addition to the relish (listed in the hot dog recipe), other condiments are on sale as well:
And don’t forget the charcoal for the grill!
Lazzari Mesquite Charcoal on sale $3.99/6.75 lbs