One of our family’s favorite fall dishes is my Beloved’s Carrot-Apple Salad recipe, so I asked him if I could share it. Calvin graciously typed it up for me, so here it is! Yes, there is a bit of “non-measuring” involved; that’s how we typically cook in our home. But you can’t really “mess it up.” (If all else fails, add an extra dash of cinnamon, right?)
Carrot Apple Salad
- Peeled and grated Carrots
- Grated Apples
The ratio of carrots and apples can be varied according to taste and what’s on hand. I usually start with three carrots and a couple medium apples.
- Handful of raw or roasted Sunflower Seeds
- Handful and a little more of Dried Fruit (raisins, cranberries, etc)
- A heavy sprinkling of dried shredded, unsweetened Coconut.
- A splash of Orange or Lemon Juice. Don’t get carried away. Start small and go to taste. The main purpose is to keep the apple from getting brown.
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon (or more)
- 1/8 tsp Ginger powder
- Pinch of Nutmeg
- Chopped Nuts (optional)Mix all ingredients together until well blended. Taste, and adjust seasonings as necessary.