Vaccinations are an important– and often controversial- issue in parenting. Many factors should be considered when making vaccination decisions for your children.
Even our own two little ones have had different needs in this area, as we have consulted with our natural healthcare providers/physicians, keeping in mind factors such as travel plans, daycare/schooling plans, current area of residence, health condition, parental/family health history (including adoption), vaccine ingredients, form of immunization, allergies, etc.
One of the top questions in my email lately from readers has been inquiries regarding vaccinations. I am not attempting to exhaustively delve into this issue, but here are some of my favorite resources to reference during your decision-making journey. As parents, we are cautious about what goes into our children’s bodies, seeking to care for and nourish them in wellness.
One highly effective step in wellness & illness prevention for our own family (in avoiding vitamin D deficiency) has been taking good cod liver oil, especially in the dark winter months, along with other healthy foods/habits. (We get the kind with yummy flavors, and drizzle the small dose on breakfast waffles to hide the fishy taste for anyone that doesn’t just take it by the spoonful.) A fermented cod liver oil such as Green Pasture seems to be a best choice, but a quality, mercury-free, non-deodorized brand such as Nordic Naturals can be a helpful choice instead; choose one that meets your family’s needs.
- Remember, for some families, it doesn’t have to be an “all or nothing” decision. One approach to vaccinations can be creating a delayed/adjusted schedule. I love Megan’s perspective as she thoughtfully put together her delayed vaccination schedule (and updated it as needed for their family).
- Dr. Robert Sears’ article, Is Aluminum the New Thimerosal? (Jan/Feb 2008)
- The Vaccine Book: Making the Right Decision for Your Child
- Vaccinations: A Thoughtful Parent’s Guide: How to Make Safe, Sensible Decision about the Risks, Benefits, and Alternatives (This favorite book of mine also has many natural remedies, which I have used in our own family!)
- Dr. Mercola’s Comments on Flu Vaccine Exposed
- Weston A. Price Foundation’s Update on Cod Liver Oil Manufacture article
- Focus on the Family’s Position Statement on Gardasil/HPV Vaccine (pdf)
H1N1 Vaccination Thoughts-
Since my husband became an EMT, we have always carefully evaluated the risk of contagion to our family, and consulted with our healthcare providers regarding vaccination advice. After much thoughtful research, we completely avoided the H1N1 vaccine when it came available, soon after our son’s birth (and still co-sleeping with him).
*Please* read these important points about that vaccine; especially if you are considering the “FluMist” form. (One of my husband’s co-workers at the time had transported a very sick little girl that autumn to the hospital ICU. She had contracted H1N1 from her parents, who accidentally “shedded” the virus onto their daughter, after getting the Mist.)
We also avoided taking our children to popular local children’s museums/play areas/groups that season, once we learned that some of our friend’s children were receiving the Mist- and then attending public activities directly after their doctor’s visit!
This wasn’t a paranoid decision out of fear; just a well-thought-out step of caution for a short season, as we considered the health of our little ones.