But life got busy, and the project kept getting put aside.
Soon, the baby shower date (for a Sunday afternoon) approached… and I ended starting the quilt project on the Friday afternoon before the shower.
I pulled out some of my favorite fabrics from my stash, and decided to keep the design simple. I stuck with a “rectangular stripes” design, and quickly cut the fabric strips as I chatted with a visiting sister-in-law.
Technically, this crib-sized quilt only has three quilt blocks, which are sewn in a row, and then bordered with wide edges (about 6″).
I had limited sewing time, as I didn’t want to be running a noisy sewing machine when overnight guests arrived later that evening. So, I spent a couple hours on the quilt on Friday, and then picked up the project again on Saturday afternoon (wondering if I really would complete it in time).
For the binding, I used a technique similar to Martha Stewart’s Simple Baby Quilt Project. (It’s not “real bias binding;” it’s just strips of fabric, not cut on the bias.) I kept my binding mostly to the back of the quilt as a fun accent, since the backing fabric is just a plain, unbleached muslin.
I sewed the binding on with a basic decorative hem stitch on my sewing machine, instead of the time-consuming hand sewing that I usually do for quilt binding.
Thankfully, it only took a few hours total to complete the quilt! I was able to wrap it up, attach a handmade card, and present it to the happy mama on that Sunday.