During the busy summer season of our business, our kitchen is bustling every morning with preparing several different breakfasts from our menu at once for our guests. Even though we’re plating up some gourmet recipes, our family has its own (not-so-patient) hungry little mouths waiting to be fed as well!
Instead of resorting to the appeal of a quick sugary cereal, we try to feed our children more protein-rich meals to maintain a more “even keel” in their thoughts & behavior for the day. They also have fun running outside to clip some fresh herbs from our flowerpots, veggies from the garden, or berries from backyard vines.
Whether you’re “on the go” to various activities or just looking for something simple to reduce the pile of breakfast dishes, here are some of our favorite simple “one pot” ideas on a busy morning. (Although the youngest member of our family still thrives on exclusively breastmilk.)
- Omelets or Scrambled Eggs with Cheese and diced fresh Tomato & Herbs (sometimes with a bit of chopped natural ham or bacon)
- Steel-Cut Oats with a spoonful of Peanut Butter stirred in. Add a dash of milk and fresh berries, if desired.
- Homemade Yogurt or whole milk Cottage Cheese sprinkled with fresh Berries
- Smoothies (made with yogurt and frozen fruit)
- Breakfast Burritos (scrambled eggs, cheese, plus leftover beans/rice & salsa in a tortilla)
- Apple (or other fruit) Slices with a big spoonful of Peanut Butter or Cream Cheese to dip (sprinkle in some homemade granola, too, if desired)
- Cooked Brown Rice (leftover from supper), with Milk & a drizzle of Raw Honey and sprinkled with “Trail Mix” (nuts, seeds, dried fruit)
- Breakfast Sausage Patties (prepare ahead of time, and keep a batch of cooked ones in the fridge; my kids will eat them cold) and a side dish of choice (such as a muffin, fresh fruit, etc.)
- Dinner. My children think it’s hilariously fun to munch on dinner leftovers for breakfast, such as cold pizza, chili, or Mexican food. (A reverse of that popular busy day “breakfast for dinner” solution!)
Also, keeping a batch of quick bread or a bag of muffins at hand (made ahead of time, if necessary), such as Zucchini Bread or Banana Muffins is helpful for a “grab & go” breakfast or quick side dish option.