Post by Contributing Writer, Katie
Spring is here! With the change of weather many of us are spending more time in the garden planting seeds and seedlings. I am soaking up the sun and enjoying the slightly warmer days. No more shoes for this gal; I am barefoot in the garden and loving it!
Unfortunately with more time spent in the garden your hands tend to get dry and cracked. This hand cream is just what you need. The coconut oil, rose and calendula sooth and heal your skin while imparting a light fragrance of rose.
Healing Rose Hand Cream
1 1/2 cups coconut oil
1 cup rose water or distilled water
3 TBS grated beeswax
1/4 cup cup dried calendula blossoms
1/4 cup dried rose petals
1. Place the coconut oil in a small heavy sauce pot. Gently melt on low heat, add the rose petals and calendula blossoms. Cook on low heat for a half and hour.
2. Strain the oil blend to remove the flowers.
3. Wipe out your sauce pot to remove any of the flowers. Put the oil back in the pot along with the bee’s wax. Heat on low until the wax has melted.
4. Pour the oil into a blender and allow to cool to room temperature.
5. Blend the oil on high until it forms a vortex. Slowly pour the water into the blender. Continue to blend on high until emulsified.
6. Pour into a glass jars to store, it makes about 2 1/2 cups. You will notice that the lotion will thicken after a few hours. It should stay shelf stable for at least six months. If it is above 80 inside or if you want to save it for longer than six month store in the refrigerator.
What is your favorite cure for dry and cracked hands?
Katie is a dorm “mama” to 12 amazing girls ages 8 to 18 at a home and school for the Deaf in Baja California, Mexico. She and her “hijas” can be frequently found in the kitchen, the garden or making friends with their new chickens. She loves to read, hike the hills near her home and spend time with her girls. In her spare time Katie blogs at Nourishing Simplicity about nourishing foods, herbal remedies, simple living, raising her girls and encouraging other women in their walk with Christ.